F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Wed Jul 17 17:14:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:03:04PM -0500, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 04:24:01AM +0200, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > >
> > > The "..." in the middle of the line makes the output completely
> > > unusable.
> > That might be a bit of an exagerration, no?
>
> If I run "systemctl" and see that "console-k...tem-start.service" or
> "fedora-st...init-late.service" exited, I have no way to use that
> information.  If I try to run "systemctl status
> console-k...tem-start.service", I get "Loaded: error (Reason: No such
> file or directory)".  I've also had many times where I tried to search
> (with "/somestring") for a service I knew part of the name of and failed
> to find it because the middle of the service name was truncated.  I now
> completely avoid running "systemctl" without arguments because the
> truncation has made the command, to me, unreliable and useless.  So, no,
> it's not an exaggeration.
Well, "unusable" is still an exaggertion.

But you've got a point here: I'd prefer for systmectl to avoid
ellipsization when not on a tty. IIRC, this idea was rejected, because
it also is confusing when the output changes significantly depending
on how you use it. Maybe it is time to revisit this decision.

Zbyszek
--
they are not broken. they are refucktored
                           -- alxchk