cloud images and journald/rsyslog

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed Jul 17 17:54:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 07:42:49PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
>> > Personally, I'd be interested in seeing a lightweight
>> > forwarder which integrates with, say, Logstash.
>> More lightweight than running rsyslog with local logging turned off?
>> Is the overhead of rsyslog in such a configuration really a concern?
>
> It would be nice to retain the field delimination and extra data the journal
> collects. If rsyslog can do that, then it effectively can be that service. I
> think rsyslog can with imjournal, but I haven't investigated in depth.

rsyslog has facilities to read from journal, send the full data in
text, receive and read it back, and even write it back to journal at
the destination.  (Full disclosure I haven't actually tried such a
chain up, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were some differences
between this and just copying the journal binary logs.)
     Mirek