F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Wed Jul 17 17:55:28 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> said:
> On 07/17/2013 05:40 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >Maybe we can give another shot of relevance by collecting a list of
> >packages that depend on syslog (or are useless without /var/log/messages
> >or other log files in /var/log) ?
> >
> >I've heard logwatch, logrotate and fail2ban mentioned. Are there
> >others ?
> >

> yum whatprovides "/var/log/*" | grep Filename | wc -l
> 597
>
> About that much....

That doesn't have anything to do with what _looks_ for syslog logs in
the usual places (the count also inflated by updates - so you have
dupes).

I don't think logrotate will care if the syslog files are not there.
The /etc/lograte.d/syslog is provided by rsyslog (so if there's no
rsyslog, there's no corresponding logrotate config).

logwatch, fail2ban, and denyhosts should either depend on syslog or be
taught to understand the journal.

systemd should NOT provide syslog, since it is not providing a "syslog"
service (it is an alternate system logging setup that can receive
messages via the syslog socket).  That virtual provides makes it harder
for people that want a syslog service.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>