cloud images and journald/rsyslog

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 17 18:00:36 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 07:54:17PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> rsyslog has facilities to read from journal, send the full data in
> text, receive and read it back, and even write it back to journal at
> the destination.  (Full disclosure I haven't actually tried such a
> chain up, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were some differences
> between this and just copying the journal binary logs.)

That would probably do it, then. In the future we could look at separating
the rsyslog package from the default logging configuration (as I a few
messages ago suggested to Bill as a possible solution for the
depends-on-/var/log/messages issue). Then, one could easily install the
rsyslog package and drop in a forwarder configuration without that
immediately turning on local logging. (Can't do this immediately without
disruption on upgrades, though).