F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 17 20:23:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 07:46:01PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 05:42:21PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >>yum whatprovides "/var/log/*" | grep Filename | wc -l
> >>597
> >>About that much....
> >That's not so helpful. Most of these are things which provide their own log
> >files of some sort and completely bypass syslog. In fact, we can probably
> >_subtract_ anything on that list.
> Irrelevant since it's either a tool or an admin that is looking into
> those logs and both come up empty handed hence it needs to be fixed
> one way or the other. ( sub-packaged )

I'm not following you here. To pick a random example from the top of the
list, "3proxy" is going to keep logging to /var/log/3proxy no matter what we
do with syslog. It won't "come up empty handed" -- from its point of view,
nothing has changed.

Are you suggesting we somehow need to patch all of these to use the journal
instead of their own ad-hoc log file? Because that is Definitely Out of
Scope for this proposal.