F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 17 20:56:03 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 01:27:23PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> FWIW, FHS states[1]:
>
> "The following files, or symbolic links to files, must be in /var/log,
> if the corresponding subsystem is installed:
>
> File	Description
> lastlog	record of last login of each user
> messages	system messages from syslogd"
>
> There is clearly some ambiguity there; I'm not sure FHS writers
> considered the possibility of something that is clearly meant to fulfill
> the role of a system logging daemon but which does not want to
> write /var/log/messages .

The intent here is "if such a file exists, it belongs in this directory",
not "this file must exist". This pattern repeats throughout the FHS.

See for example the similar requirements for /bin:
http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_2.3/fhs-2.3.html#SPECIFICOPTIONS2
csh is listed, but this isn't meant to mandate that C shell must be
installed. So I think we're compliant with both the letter and the spirit of
this standard.