F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Troy Dawson tdawson at redhat.com
Wed Jul 17 21:04:28 UTC 2013

On 07/15/2013 04:26 PM, Jonathan Masters wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2013, at 5:11, Miroslav Suchý <msuchy at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 07/15/2013 10:44 AM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>>> = Proposed System Wide Change: No Default Syslog =
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NoDefaultSyslog
>>>
>>> Change owner(s): Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering net>,
>>> Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject org>
>>>
>>> No longer install a traditional syslog service by default.
>>> (Specifically, remove rsyslog from the @core or @standard groups
>>> in comps.)
>>>
>>> The systemd journal will be the default logging solution.
>>> Rsyslog, Syslog-NG, and even traditional sysklogd will continue
>>> to cover use cases outside of the default.
>>
>> My voice may be one of thousands, but I'm saying: I want to have
>> traditional syslog service as default and have journal from systemd
>> as option.
>
> I concur. I have systems that live in a heterogeneous environment and
> need traditional syslog. By making it optional, it will ultimately
> die, forcing journal as the only viable option in a Fedora
> environment. This is IMO not net beneficial for downstream use cases
> later on either.
>
> Jon.

I've read though most of the email on this thread, and would just like
to put in my $.02.
I think this "System Wide Change" is 1 to 2 releases too early.
I'm not totally against it.  But I live with one foot in RHEL land, and
one foot in Fedora.  It takes me a while to incorporate these new
features. I need more transition time.

Just taking it out of @core instead of both would ease the transition.

Troy