F20 Self Contained Change: OS Installer Support for LVM Thin Provisioning

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jul 17 21:20:12 UTC 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 2:59 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 13:36 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>

>> Does 'new automatic partitioning variant' mean 'another option in the
>> drop-down box in Installation Options', more or less?
>
> Exactly that - at the moment.
>
> However...what we really lack here is some sort of explanation of the
> tradeoffs between the various options.  A GtkComboBox with ["LVM", "LVM
> (Thin Provisioning)", "BTRFS"] pretty much required one to consult
> external documentation before this change, and certainly understanding
> all of the tradeoffs around thin provisioning will only make that need
> more pressing.

Should it even be in Guided's Installation Options? Or should it be an option within Manual Partitioning? I'm not finding a single source for the tradeoffs between regular and thinp.

Does GRUB support LVM thinp? If not, Manual Partitioning shouldn't let the user put /boot on LVM thinp. Current it does allow an all LVM installation, and it does work.

Chris Murphy