F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 21:23:54 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de>wrote:

> The journal is not an implementation of syslog, we already have that in
> rsyslog. Also, the feature is about ending the duplicate storage of the
> log messages, so your suggestion is completely against what the feature
> is about.

What about a special filesystem mounted at /var/log or filesystem trickery
therein that presents contents similar to what everyone expects, backed out
of journalctl and its storage then?

Syslog is a valuable, long standing feature of *nix.  It's a bit early to
default to it's absence; particularly with there being such little benefit
from removing it, and so much to break.  Perhaps once systemd has gained
wide adoption, but that is at least five years away.  Of course it's
wonderful that Fedora gets systemd first.  But I don't think Fedora should
be the first to default off widely adopted components of *nix.

Duplicate storage of log message was not a problem that syslog created. I
don't think the right way to solve it is to default no syslog.