F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jul 17 22:40:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, 17.07.13 17:50, Denys Vlasenko (dvlasenk at redhat.com) wrote:

> On 07/17/2013 05:21 PM, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:
> >
> >> From: sclark at netwolves.com
> >
> >> This seems like such a specious argument. Maybe it made sense when
> >> we were talking about disk drives
> >> that were megabytes in size, but now we have 500 gigabyte drives
> >> usually as a minimum.
> >
> > You don't ever work with embedded systems, do you?
>
> If you are running systemd on a embedded system, you are clearly
> not concerned about saving space :)

There are actually quite a few embedded devices running systemd these
days. Wind generators, outer space telescopes, cars, toys, quite a lot
of other stuff. We do get reports about this from time to time.

And they do care about disk space, and since systemd is actually not
that bad on that. systemd is quite modular and you can select at build
time the components you need. And given that systemd already provides
you with most things you need for a device, and reuses a lot of code
internally the overall footprint is quite OK. The hierarchal watchdog
support in systemd actually originates from embedded people, and they
love it.

This is not the kind of embedded that only consists of one kernel and
one process, but it is the embedded that runs a small number of
services, and systemd is quite suitable for that, and in production
already.

I actually attended a number of embedded conferences representing
systemd. For example I attended the GENIVI conference twice. They work
on standardization of Linux for car IVI systems. The GENIVI specs
actually require systemd to be in it now.

So, no snarky comments about embedded devices, please, it's entirely
inappropriate.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.