F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Jul 17 22:49:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, 17.07.13 16:37, M A Young (m.a.young at durham.ac.uk) wrote:

> >I used to do something like this with vim ":g/NOISE/d" until I could see the
> >detail I wanted when the alternations for grep would have been tremendously
> >long.  With journalctl's built-in filtering capabilities I'm glad I don't
> >have to do that anymore; it's way more concise.  However, all use cases
> >differ, so if you must, you can:  "journalctl | vim -".  YMMV with other
> >editors though.
>
> That isn't a complete solution though because you may want to remove
> the bad logs completely to free up the space they are taking up. Of
> course you may have already lost all the interesting logs by this
> point with journald anyway because they have been overwritten.
>
> That leads me to ask another question, how well does journald cope
> with keeping certain logs long term? The classic syslog way of doing
> this is to send them to a separate file, then use logrotate to
> compress them once they have been rotated. Is there any equivalent
> with journald? Compressing may be necessary due to the quantity of
> logs required.

Regarding retention policies we currently only have a max retention
time limit which you can configure globally.

There are plans to add a bit of code to allow rotation that throws away
lower priority messages earlier than high priority messages during
rotation and then add individual retention time limits for that too.

However, I am not keen on adding a complex language that allows matching
of specific clients or messages and then apply specific retention times
to that. For that please use rsyslog which supports such a language.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.