F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Thu Jul 18 00:58:21 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> said:
> So, maybe, instead of dropping the "Provides syslog" thing from
> journald, maybe we should add an explicit "syslog-files" dependency (or
> something named like that) and then make the classic syslog
> implementations provide that and the packages which actually need
> /var/log/messages pull that it?

I was thinking of it from the point of view of someone wanting
traditional syslog behavior could "yum install syslog", which would get
something that writes /var/log/<foo> (which won't happen with the
current setup).

I would consider something that handles the syslog() library call (and
so /dev/log) to be enough of the traditional Unix core that it shouldn't
need a requires.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>