F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Ding Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Thu Jul 18 02:35:00 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, 17.07.13 14:36, Denys Vlasenko (dvlasenk at redhat.com) wrote:
>
> > > instead of administrators simply adding rsyslog or syslog-ng manually
> > > at install time or to their ks snippets.
> >
> > And this too was answered several times already.
> > The machine in question may be already borked.
> > Our support people will need to figure out -
> > over the phone or email! - what has happened on client's
> > installation, and having traditional grep/sed/awk
> > recipes not working anymore because /var/log/messages
> > is not there anymore is an extremely unwelcome discovery
> > in an emergency.
> >
> > You guys aren't administrators who are dealing with
> > these problems every day. You don't feel the pain
> > you create for other people.
>
> Again:
>
> "cat /var/log/messages" becomes "journalctl"
> "tail -f /var/log/messages" becomes "journalctl -f"
> "tail -n100 /var/log/messages" becomes "journalctl -n100"
> "grep foobar /var/log/messages" becomes "journalctl | grep foobar"
>
> This isn't complex. You can grep/sed/awk as much as you want. You just
> do it over the output of journalctl rather than teh file. That's not
> that big a difference.
>
> And if you really need it as a file, you can do "journalctl >
> /var/log/messages", and have it in a file. And if that doesn't cut it
> and you want something that is "living", then install rsyslog and you
> got the real /var/log/messages back.

1) yum remove rsyslog

2) a line in your kickstart file
-rsyslog

3) uncheck the checkbox of rsyslog in anaconda or yumex

All three are not complex either. :-)

By letting rsyslog the default, you make the one that don't embrace the change happy,
because they can continue to do what they always used to do.

And for the innovation and aware seekers like yourself, you know exact what you want
and don't want, can safely remove the package.
A simple change from your side is just a tiny price to pay.

This should be simpler than forcing those stubborn mind (such as me) to change,
No?

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer
Email: dchen at redhat.com

Red Hat, Asia-Pacific Pty Ltd
Level 1, 193 North Quay
Brisbane 4000
Office: +61 7 3514 8100
Fax: +61 7 3514 8199
Website: www.redhat.com

Red Hat, Inc.
Facebook: Red Hat APAC | Red Hat Japan | Red Hat Korea | JBoss APAC
Twitter: Red Hat APAC | Red Hat ANZ
LinkedIn: Red Hat APAC | JBoss APAC