F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Ding Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Thu Jul 18 02:52:53 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, 17.07.13 21:00, Ding Yi Chen (dchen at redhat.com) wrote:
>
> > > The release notes addition we suggested in the feature page tells you
> > > what to do.
> > >
> > > The feature page also says we'll add /var/log/README explaining the
> > > situation.
> > >
> > > It would be useful actually if you raised these points only after reading
> > > the thread, because this has been discussed quite a few times already on
> > > this thread.
> >
> > In theory, everyone should read the ChangeLog, RELEASE-NOTES, and manual on
> > every thing he/she uses.
> >
> > In reality, well ...
> > What's the percentage of your friend and family actually finish read
> > all the document they supposed to read?
>
> We actually stick the README in /var/log, i.e. where the admin looks for
> the log files. We do not hide it in /usr/share/doc or so where nobody
> looks.

That would definitely help for people that actively go into /var/log
and look for /var/log/messages.

It does not help on the case of some monitor program that read /var/log/messages
then generate the reports.

User might be aware the monitor program stop working, but not aware the root cause
is /var/log/messages no longer exists.

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer
Email: dchen at redhat.com

Red Hat, Asia-Pacific Pty Ltd
Level 1, 193 North Quay
Brisbane 4000
Office: +61 7 3514 8100
Fax: +61 7 3514 8199
Website: www.redhat.com

Red Hat, Inc.
Facebook: Red Hat APAC | Red Hat Japan | Red Hat Korea | JBoss APAC
Twitter: Red Hat APAC | Red Hat ANZ
LinkedIn: Red Hat APAC | JBoss APAC