F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jul 18 13:51:58 UTC 2013

On 07/17/2013 03:35 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 03:30:20PM +0200, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 08:56:45AM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>>> Is there a way to read binary journals from non-Linux OSes?
>> Compiling journalctl on UINXy OSes should not be too much of a problem.
>> You'd need dbus >= 1.4.0, libcap, liblzma (if used by the journal files
>> in question). Not trivial but certainly doable.
>>
>> Zbyszek
>
> I was more thinking of the typical home use case, where a user has
> installed Fedora alongside Windows or Mac OS.
My use case is using a different Linux distro for trouble shooting,
either installed alongside Fedora[1] or booting it from usb-stick/CD/DVD
[2] or external HD[3].

Ralf

[1] Often older versions of Fedora or CentOS.
[2] e.g. systemrescuecd
[3] There has been a time, I carried around a customized CentOS
installation on external HD just for troubleshooting.