F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Eric Smith brouhaha at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 18 15:51:32 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 1:56 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Oh how do you get your logs to read in windows from your lvm/ext4/btrfs
>> > filesystems currently in a disk boot scenario?
>>
>> Using ext2fsd:
>>         http://www.ext2fsd.com
>>

> ... I'd suggest you read that page and then look at my question and think
> real hard...

Maybe your question is poorly stated, then.

What I thought you asked was how to read Linux log files from a
Windows installation, e.g., when Linux fails to boot.  In the past
I've been able to do that using ext2fsd without much difficulty. I
used that method when I wasn't able to boot a rescue or live CD, and
the last resort would have been to pull the hard drive from the
machine and use a different computer to inspect it.   But if
/var/log/messages is not made available by default, then using ext2fsd
won't work, and other methods become more difficult also.

My main complaint is that removing the default syslog to
/var/log/messages makes it harder for me to diagnose broken machines
that OTHER people have set up, because those other people aren't going
to have installed a non-default syslog daemon.  Certainly if it's a
machine I'm installing, I'll know to install syslog.

Eric