Virtual provides for files in /var/log

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 19 01:15:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 04:35:22PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Yes, it's just that if we're moving these packages from being broken in a
> non-default, administrator-configured configuration to being broken in the
> out-of-the-box configuration, it might be worthwhile to know that ahead of
> time, or know if there's a way to have them indicate that they now require
> the non-default configuration.

I think that the updated
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NoDefaultSyslog#Dependencies
is a pretty good representation of the packages in the distribution that
actually might be affected.

It's basically the case that we've NEVER had good tools for dealing with
log messages. Epylog was the closest to interesting, but the devoper (hi
Konstantin!) lost interest. So, we've got a handful of little utilities.
We'll probably discover a few more than the above list, but I doubt that
there's even _two_ handfuls.