F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Ding Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Fri Jul 19 01:37:10 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> John.Florian at dart.biz (John.Florian at dart.biz) said:
> > > Or you can de-install rsyslog and have everything as you love it.
> >
> > Which makes more sense: take a default and modify it via composition ...
> > or take a default and modify it via decomposition?
> >
> > I'd always choose the former, regardless of the case or how convenient it
> > was to me.

Taking your words seriously, the most sensible default is only install the core,
nothing else.

You want network? install network drivers,
GUI? install desktop environment/WM.
Show your languages? Install language support.

For Next->Next->Ok type of users,
this "default" will lead them just a .. core.
No pretty GUI. :-)

> Exactly - adding to the minimal install is generally always a supported
> operation.  Removing from the minimal install is always a 'buyer beware'
> or 'you get both pieces' operation.

Didn't Jesse Keating said something like we don't offer minimal install
other than uncheck the all boxes?

Default is just an environment that most people expected to have,
its much bigger that the minimal install.

> (Also, I do wonder if those who suggest unchecking rsyslog *in anaconda*
> do regular interactive installs. That's not been offered for quite some time
> now outside of kickstart.)

That's because it is in core, which is always hidden from users.
You can move it to standard and make it default.

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer
Email: dchen at redhat.com

Red Hat, Asia-Pacific Pty Ltd
Level 1, 193 North Quay
Brisbane 4000
Office: +61 7 3514 8100
Fax: +61 7 3514 8199
Website: www.redhat.com

Red Hat, Inc.
Facebook: Red Hat APAC | Red Hat Japan | Red Hat Korea | JBoss APAC
Twitter: Red Hat APAC | Red Hat ANZ
LinkedIn: Red Hat APAC | JBoss APAC