F20 Self Contained Change: Apache OpenOffice

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Jul 19 07:37:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:54:10PM +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Apache OpenOffice =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ApacheOpenOffice
>
> Change owner(s): Andrea Pescetti <pescetti at apache.org>
>
> Add Apache OpenOffice [1], the free productivity suite, to Fedora.
>
> == Detailed description ==
> Apache OpenOffice (formerly OpenOffice.org) is an extremely popular free and open-
> source office software suite.
>
> Donated by Oracle to the Apache Software Foundation in 2011, it is now
> developed and supported by a thriving community; it graduated from the Apache
> Incubator in October 2012 and it is now an Apache Top-Level Project.
>
> Apache OpenOffice 4.0, due in the last decade of July 2013, is a major update.
> The two new versions (3.4.0 and 3.4.1) released in 2012 under the Apache
> guidance totalled 60 million downloads so far, not counting mirrors.
>
> To be clear, this proposal is about merely adding Apache OpenOffice: it doesn't
> affect existing office suites included in Fedora and it doesn't require that
> Apache OpenOffice is made the default office suite in Fedora.
>
> == Scope ==
> Proposal owners:
> Packaging is the main issue here. The default OpenOffice build process produces
> RPM packages, but there are major changes to be done to obtain a set of RPM
> packages and matching SRPMs suitable for inclusion in Fedora.

One of my specific request therew is make sure that they link to the system
libraries instead of relying on the embedded version used e.g. for
Windows build. Very specifically make sure libxml2 etc... is not
provided by static version inside but uses the system one (so we don't
have to push Apache OpenOffice too if there is a libxml2 security errata !)

Daniel

veillard at redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/