F20 Self Contained Change: Application Installer

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Fri Jul 19 11:02:31 UTC 2013

> > So, do I understand you correctly that you as Yum/Dnf guys would be ok to
> > have a different backend for GUI and non-GUI use cases as mentioned in
> > this thread and agreed by FESCo previously? I'd be more than happy to
> > see your sign off for this change and state this too there.
>
> Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. Obviously there would be a
> "problem" with both programs offering different combinations of packages in
> some
> cases. But combined with the fact that the use case/target group of users
> (applications vs. packages) is different for both, I don't think it would be
> that much of an issue.

Wouldn't it be easier to keep gpk-application and gpk-update-viewer installed and set as default applications, and provide AppInstaller as an alternative, experimental program (also installed by default, perhaps)? In F20 conservative users could continue using gpk-* and interested users could start playing with AppInstaller. In F21 AppInstaller can be deemed stable and gpk-* can be removed from the default install.