Multirelease effort: Moving to Python 3

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Jul 19 15:53:35 UTC 2013

Le Ven 19 juillet 2013 17:30, Daniel P. Berrange a écrit :
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 05:16:03PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>> > +1 Breaking completely needlessly backwards compatibility this way is
>> > really not a good idea.
>>
>> OTOH, it's better to give a heads-up this way (with the option to change
>> shebangs as short-term workaround) than drop users cold at python2
>> removal
>> time (which *will* eventually come). Some people really need some
>> breakage
>> to notice they're missing a migration.
>
> I don't think we're anywhere near the point in time where such an
> approach is worth the pain it will inflict on people. As above,
> I'm pretty sceptical that maintainence of Python2 is actually going
> to stop in 2015, as I think there are too many people and/or
> organizations who will find they have reasons for wanting to stick
> on python2 for a long time. Maybe I'll be proved wrong on this in
> time, but I doubt it, as there's far too many prior examples of
> people/companies sticking with ancient software versions because
> the cost of maintaining them is less than the cost of porting
> them.

Well, in practical terms if you want to do it graciously you need

time of python renaming in fedora = fedora python2 removal time - one rhel
cycle

because some people won't migrate before their stuff is broken in an
enterprise distro, so for the heads up to be effective it needs to be
advertised a full rhel cycle

--
Nicolas Mailhot