Multirelease effort: Moving to Python 3

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Jul 19 16:53:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-07-19 at 10:17 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> Far better to encourage people to explicitly use /usr/bin/python2 and
> /usr/bin/python3 explicitly and discourage any use of plain /usr/bin/python

Note the GNOME discussion here:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2012-November/msg00005.html

One ugly part is that Debian Wheezy does not have "python2".  That
combined with the Arch Linux people who made /usr/bin/python = python3
is a terrible mess for people who just want random portable scripts.

For GNOME we decided to just try to ensure python2 always exists:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2012-November/msg00017.html