F20 System Wide Change: Web Assets

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Fri Jul 19 18:56:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> = Proposed System Wide Change: Web Assets =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Web_Assets
>
> Change owner(s): T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth at gmail.com>
>
> == Detailed description ==
> A standard directory (/usr/share/assets) for static bits that are intended to
> be delivered to web browsers, such as CSS Frameworks, UI libraries, etc. will
> be introduced. HTTP daemons in the distribution should make this directory
> available publicly as /assets.

Minor comment: This copy of the text uses /assets ; the wiki page and
the proposed policy uses both /assets and /_assets ; this should be
cleared up.

More importantly, is it OK to just take over a part of the server's
URI namespace like this?  If we do so, users won't be able to remap
the directory to something else without potentially breaking
Fedora-packaged applications.  Are we satisfied enough that
(presumably) /_assets will not collide with existing applications or
installations?  (Yes, this is already written in the proposal.  I
still thought it is worth highlighting to make absolutely sure we have
this discussion, because changing the path would be very painful with
the current proposal.)
    Mirek