F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Jul 20 14:58:50 UTC 2013

Le Sam 20 juillet 2013 00:46, Adam Williamson a écrit :
> On Fri, 2013-07-19 at 14:23 -0500, Billy Crook wrote:
>
>> > It's not as if the default MTA configuration, as I understand it (no
>> smart
>> > host, attempt to send all mail directly with the FQDN) is generally
>> useful
>> > OOTB.
>>
>> It is to me, and I suspect I am not alone.
>
> I call bullshit. How is it useful to you? All it can possibly do is
> deliver mail to root and users in /var/spool . We don't set up any mail
> reader to read this mail out of the box. No app is very likely to know
> your user name and send mail to you. The only practical thing you can do
> with the OOTB sendmail configuration is manually read or configure an
> agent to read the mail in root's /var/spool directory - and that is not
> the recommended way to read root's mail _anyway_, the recommended way is
> to alias root to a user account.

And the recommended way is trivial (even though anaconda should really set
up the alias at install time)

What won't be trivial *at* *all* is if you encourage app authors to invent
their own one-of-a-kind not-really-tested communication stack. God knows
they are already leaning towards wheel reinventing without any such system
blessing.

Set up your own replacement. Make it good, secure and easy to operate.
Have it widely adopted. And then you can talk about removing the default
MTA. If it's good enough you have nothing to fear about MTA competition.
If you do need MTA removal to get your stuff adopted, well, that only
tells me your stuff is crap.

--
Nicolas Mailhot