F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 15:00:22 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 19, 2013 2:16 PM, "Bill Nottingham" <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>> It's not as if the default MTA configuration, as I understand it (no smart
>> host, attempt to send all mail directly with the FQDN) is generally useful
>> OOTB.
>
> It is to me, and I suspect I am not alone.

Amen. Admittedly, life gets complex when a "root" alias is needed and
you are stuck behind an email SMARTHOST, but the default works just
*fine* for delivering nightly cron jobs and error reports to the local
root account. It's a very handy  config, so system reporting is merely
ignored, and not entirely lost, when setting up bare systems. And
there dozens if not hundreds of critical system tools that would wind
up auto-installing it. Activating such a core resource by surprise,
long after setup, is going to cause surprises.

Mind you, I'm not so fond of sendmail these days, and strongly prefer
postfix for ease of configuration.