F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Jul 21 18:24:39 UTC 2013

On Jul 21, 2013, at 10:55 AM, "Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>  (state-of-the-art as in, what are Google
> and Amazon using to notify their users of events? Mail messages!>

If you're talking about google calendar events, email is used only because even with Chrome the pop-up notifications only work 1/2 the time.

> They
> would be ROFL if they were reading this conversation. If it's not done yet
> I predict they'll integrate their phones and tablets and notify you of
> problems by mail in the next years.)

?? So you think it's a good idea to have low battery, critical software updates, maybe a virus alert, appear to the user in an email? That really makes no sense, but I'm otherwise not thinking what else you mean by the above.

I think email is craptastic. There's too much of it in all forms. But the worst is the kind that comes from automated systems. I want less of this, not more of it. The email UA paradigm is still overwhelmingly chronologically based. The attempts to prioritize emails still lack sufficient granularity, even with a lot of work (and on-going work). And it fails miserably on mobile for the typical user with 1-3 email accounts, so an email of a hard drive failure gets mixed in with Aunt Edna needing her gall bladder removed in emergency surgery and Sally who just got a new puppy. Email sucks as a notification system.

Chris Murphy