Multirelease effort: Moving to Python 3

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Mon Jul 22 13:31:13 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Daniel P. Berrange
<berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:24:22AM -0400, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> as a new Fedora Python maintainer, I have set myself a goal of moving Fedora to Python 3 as a default. This is going to be a multirelease effort that is going to affect lots of Fedora parts. Since we will need to switch default package manager from Yum to DNF (which is supposed to work with Python 3), we will need to wait for that. I've been told that DNF should be default in F22, so that's my target, too. That should also give everyone else plenty of time to work on other essential packages to make this happen.
>>
>> Here is my analysis/proposal:
>> Before switching, we need to make sure that everything "important" (*) is Python 3 compatible. There are three steps I see in this transition:
>> 1) Getting rid of Python 2 in mock minimal buildroot.
>> 2) Porting Anaconda to Python 3.
>> 3) Making all livecd packages depend on Python 3 by default (and eventually getting rid of Python 2 from livecd) - this will also require switching from Yum to DNF as a default, that is supposed to support Python 3.
>> ( 4) Making as much of the remaining packages Python 3 compatible )
>
> If we do any work on python3 conversions, it must be done in the context
> of respective upstream projects, and not a Fedora custom addon.

IMHO this is precisely the kind of integration where a distribution is
perfectly justified to carry local patches, even against explicit
wishes of upstream if necessary (though cooperating with upstream and
finding a way to integrate the patch upstream is much better).  We
shouldn't block the transition just because a one or two upstreams
refuse to port (or, more likely, a dozen or two upstreams do not exist
any more).
    Mirek