Multirelease effort: Moving to Python 3

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Mon Jul 22 13:38:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Daniel P. Berrange
<berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> Far better to encourage people to explicitly use /usr/bin/python2 and
> /usr/bin/python3 explicitly and discourage any use of plain /usr/bin/python,
> but definitely not change the semantics of the latter.

Right, treating the existence of /usr/bin/python as a
mistake/historical accident is reasonable.

(As a philosophical aside, isn't it rather sad that we don't have any
established conventions for handling such transition/compatibility
issues?  We are treating project and every every case as unique, when
they really aren't; just about any API provider faces the same
versioning/compatibility issues sooner or later.  If only there were
some kind of consensus for "how things are done" that any project
could adopt - and were expected to adopt - already in the early stages
of the project when nobody thinks a migration will ever be needed.)
    Mirek