RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 22 14:06:40 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 01:49:08PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >So there we have it. Comments and discussion,  please!
> It does not mention which components the core is made out of, no

Correct; that is to be determined, and not just by me. At Flock, I will
include pictures of a couple of different starting points. Since it took you
all of 11 minutes to read and post this reply, I'm going to assume you
skimmed and missed the parts in the message where I talked about that.

> dropping the defaults or even moving epel out of Fedora and into
> their own infrastructure bits downstream distribution to us use.

I don't even know what you're talking about. Yes, you are right that the
presentation doesn't talk about any of this.

> Should be made less RHEL we want people to use Fedora not RHEL

Candidly, we want people to use both. We (as Fedora) are part of an
ecosystem, and that's one of our strengths. I assume you're focusing on the
"not widely used by RHEL users" point. That's merely one area which I've
identified as having room for growth and improvement. Like everything we do
in Fedora, this design certainly will affect downstream distributions, and
we could get a lot of benefit by better engaging users of those distros.