RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 15:27:57 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> This is a draft of the proposal I'm presenting at Flock, "An Architecture
>> for a More Agile Fedora" (<http://sched.co/19ugKGM>).
> (The more high-level comment.)
>
> This essentially explicitly gives up on the idea of "Fedora" or,
> implicitly, "Linux" as a "platform"^W/"deployment target"/"ecosystem"

Quite the opposite, I would say.

The BSDs show that you can maintain a highly integrated small core OS
with a tiny team. Android has shown it can be done on top of the Linux
kernel. The traditional Linux distros are comparatively flailing at it
-- throwing a ton more resources at it, badly coordinated.

If Fedora moves to a tightly integrated core, and does it in a way
that other distros follow, Linux could grow a small core that moves in
sync with the kernel and outpaces the competition. systemd is the
example here.

Couple of months ago I have written about this topic here
https://plus.google.com/u/0/104365545644317805353/posts/MgAeGR6Pb8p --
the way I read Matthew's proposal is that it follows the "fast moving
core" goals...

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 -  ask interesting questions