RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 15:35:38 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> This proposal is for a solid core which can be targeted by software stacks,
> which can be targeted by developers.

Oh, initially I understood you were aiming for a fast-moving, highly
integrated core, following systemd's lead.

Maybe I am projecting :-)

Is your goal to have _less_ movement at the core of the stack?

We do have a problem of missed opportunities at this time -- the
kernel moves fairly fast, and allows for new and powerful features. If
we have a small core userland that moves in sync with the kernel,
there is a lot to gain in performance and features.

systemd is an example of a project that has broken a bit with the
ossified core linux userland. In my view, we need more such changes;
carefully executed.

Yes, everyone carps about change, including me. But they still develop
for the winning platform, and the winning platform gets to be the
winning platform by evolving. As I see it, that's Fedora's tradeoff.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 -  ask interesting questions
 ~ http://docs.moodle.org/en/User:Martin_Langhoff