EPEL (was Re: RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk))

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 15:38:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 03:13:28PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 07/22/2013 02:52 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 02:28:52PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >>What better time to move epel out of Fedora since is really not
> >>related to Fedora et all but is strictly for downstream distribution
> >>based upon us to use ( like RHEL and it's clones )
> >>
> >I'm not sure what you think needs to be "moved out of Fedora".  Governance
> >of EPEL is separate.  Packagers are allowed to be independent.  in your
> >about the fact that epel shares the same koji, bodhi, git, etc with Fedora,
> >I'm not sure what harm those do to us right now and I can see a large amount
> >of benefit in terms of the manpower required to maintain those systems.
>
> For Epel yes, for RHEL yes for Fedora no

For Fedora, yes as well.  The Fedora Infrastructure team uses EPEL for their
boxes so they'd likely still be the ones who maintained a separate system.
If a separate system took more of their time then that would cut into their
time spent working on Fedora itself.

> >Could you please go into what is troubling you more?
>
> Reluctant changes and cleanups to components and their spec files and
> our packing guidelines due to them being maintained in Epel and RHEL.

Cleanups and changes sounds like a social problem rather than a technical
one.  I think you'll have this issue as long as the same maintainer is
concerned with both Fedora and EPEL/RHEL.  I mean you mention RHEL and RHEL
already lives in a separate system so it doesn't seem to have helped.

Packaging Guidelines themselves are written for Fedora.  We note where
EPEL/RHEL need something different where applicable.

-Toshio