RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 22 16:01:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:35:38AM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > This proposal is for a solid core which can be targeted by software stacks,
> > which can be targeted by developers.
> Oh, initially I understood you were aiming for a fast-moving, highly
> integrated core, following systemd's lead.
> Maybe I am projecting :-)
> Is your goal to have _less_ movement at the core of the stack?

I think we're at least roughly on board here.

I think what we want is _careful_ movement, but not necessary less. The
second ring provides a layer where things can be slowed down. For example,
there may be a "Ruby 1.9.3 with Rails 3.2.8" stack maintained at those
versions across multiple Fedora releases even as the core changes.