RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 16:02:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 04:40:14PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
>> > Whenever I go to a tech meetup or talk to someone from a new startup
>> > company, their developers are inevitably using a different (usually
>> > proprietary) desktop OS, plus a non-Fedora distribution on their code.
>> > We're being left behind and left out. It doesn't matter how
>> > theoretically great we are if we end up with no users.
>> I don't see how your proposal solves any of those issues. You are
>> actually splitting Fedora into multiple
>> distributions which makes it even worse (more fragmentation, not
>> really something you can target etc etc).
>
> Right now, we have a unified system which we pretty much guarantee cannot be
> targeted at all. It's moving too fast at every level.

Your proposal does not address that in any way. It just adds
additional complexity and fragmentation.
Adding tons of different "flavors" with different software stacks etc
(no one writes code that targets the kernel or just glibc) is making
the problem even worse.