Webapps denying all outside access by default?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jul 22 16:10:17 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-07-21 at 09:47 -0700, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Adam Williamson
> <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>         I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here, but is it intended
>         that
>         webapps should not be accessible from anywhere but localhost
>         by default?
>

> That's my understanding, yes.  It follows from the general
> understanding that network-accessible daemons (with perhaps the
> exception of sshd) should not be accessible from outside of localhost
> by default.
>
> Now I'm curious... do you have a particularly strong reason why web
> apps should be different than any other network daemon?

Not really, it just seemed odd, but after thinking about it a bit more
the reasons are valid. It might be nice if this was explicitly explained
somewhere, though, and Harald's suggestion of using separate files to
override the values in the shipped config files was explained; perhaps a
README file in /etc/httpd/conf.d ?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey