RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jul 22 16:41:22 UTC 2013

Le Lun 22 juillet 2013 18:01, Stephen Gallagher a écrit :

> On 07/22/2013 11:53 AM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>>> Upstream code is full of bundled libs. We are holding back the
>>> ocean here.
>>
>> Upstream code is full of bundled lib because that's the quick and
>> dirty way to get some code out and Fedora is not making the tooling
>> necessary to avoid bundled libs easy enough to use.
>>
>> You won't get Fedora used more by adopting other OSes problems, you
>> will get it used more by solving the problems of Fedora and by
>> playing of Fedora strengths. Nobody cares about also-rans.
>>

> We're already an also-ran.

Yep, sure, we've defined our "desktop" strategy as "emulate windows as it
was in the 90's when networking was a weird optional part". And when Apple
and Google and Mozilla brilliantly blindsided Microsoft and used cheap
commoditized networking to move some general-computing home/soho/smb
functions server-side we continued to insist there was some sort of
functional limit between both of those. Everyone else is building
desktop/server IT continua but just the idea that having a smtpd on hand
that could be used by desktop parts to delegate smtp processing is giving
our desktop people fits. We'd rather depend on lots of proprietary cloud
services than try to build bridges between our desktop and server
offerings. We're building android without the server-side Google infra
that makes it interesting. We're building windows without priorizing some
AD replacement. That's why our desktop, sorry, general-purpose
end-user/soho/smb offering is not attracting anyone.

Just making it easy to plonk some infra services on a local vm server, or
on whatever cloud hosting service is available in various countries, or as
peer-to-peer architecture would make Fedora loads more attractive as
desktop. (if both parts were integrated well)

--
Nicolas Mailhot