Webapps denying all outside access by default?

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Mon Jul 22 16:46:35 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 01:16:30AM -0600, Ken Dreyer wrote:
>> I do agree that the .rpmnew thing is annoying, and I wish there was a
>> better way to handle that.
>
> I think in general, packaging webapps into RPM is of low value. I've tried
> to use these packages in production several times over the years, and
> inevitably become frustrated and which I'd just installed from upstream as
> upstream expects. Not coincidentally, see the presentation I just posted in
> a another thread. :)

For a couple years, I managed five distinct Cacti installs across five
geographically separated systems. RPM and yum makes this task far
easier. Thankfully it's down to two now, but even if it were just one,
I'd still go with the OS packages.

I understand how "ship it via Git" looks attractive to cloud folks,
particularly for web apps. But to be honest, I want my boring web apps
like Cacti, WebSVN, and phpMyAdmin to come to me through the same
distribution mechanism that I get everything else: yum. Thankfully,
enough people agree with that approach that we have willing Fedora
packagers on hand who have made this work for many years.

- Ken