F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jul 22 16:50:17 UTC 2013

Le Lun 22 juillet 2013 18:29, Lennart Poettering a écrit :

> If you want to centralize system configuration, rather then services,
> then go ahead and do, that, but actually centralize *the configuration*,
> not the service. In particular, because a centralized client-side SMTP
> service is a really questionnable thing on today's Internet where SMTP
> delivery connections are almost always authenticated by a *user* id. Due
> to that they are generally much better configured in the MUA which
> actually run in the user context instead of a system service which lacks
> all that and where no infrastructure exists for supplying user
> authentication information.

Actually, with the various Fedora MUAs I've used, it ended up being easier
to configure them to use local MTA as relay than to try to convince them
individually to do anything more complex than 'non-encrypted smtp without
auth' (when the options existed they changed every few MUA versions and I
got tired of re-parametring them all the time). Bonus point is that
changing the relay options fixes all MUAs in one go, I got free logging of
the MUA activity, and a send queue that does not depend on running the MUA
when the network comes back.

To be sure, it would be cleaner it the connexion user when relaying
depended on the system user that emitted the message. I've not checked if
it was possible or easy to do it.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot