RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 22 17:19:40 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:12:16AM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > Whenever I go to a tech meetup or talk to someone from a new startup
> > company, their developers are inevitably using a different (usually
> > proprietary) desktop OS, plus a non-Fedora distribution on their code.
> > We're being left behind and left out. It doesn't matter how
> > theoretically great we are if we end up with no users.
> It comes down to the proprietary OS "just works." Top on the list: lack of
> video problems on proprietary OS's compared to linux. Next, I'll guess
> it's HCI related, in that the world's users have decided interaction via
> GUI is not merely preferred, but required. If CLI is required, it's
> disqualifying (e.g. there's no GUI means of upgrading from Fedora 18 to
> 19).

Probably true. I'm not suggesting we bet it all on going after the desktop
market. Everything else aside, OS X (and Android/ChromeOS, for that matter)
have a significant advantage in having hardware that they're essentially
bundled with, and we're just plain not going to have that. We've got a
desktop team with significant investment in Fedora, and I think as a
distribution we should support them, but it's the target where the code is
being deployed that I'm really interested in. (If we can create some
interested there through a better desktop experience too, though, I'm all
for it.)