EPEL (was Re: RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk))

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 20:16:57 UTC 2013

On 07/22/2013 08:04 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> said:
>> On 07/22/2013 06:13 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
>>> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
>>> <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>    No one in their right mind runs any
>>> rapid development distribution (not just Fedora) on critical
>>> infrastructure.
>> That's your opinion and I'm sure many in the server sub-community
>> disagree with that statement.
> It is the opinion of many professional system adminstrators.

Which with that statement of his especially dismiss a whole sub
community of us.

Well good for them many professional system adminstrators.

>> I have had no problem deploying Fedora and using Fedora in critical
>> infrastructural in similar fashion as Andy wrote on his blog [1]
> Creating throw-away instances and replacing them every 6 months

13months be more accurate at least I myself have never gone 6 months nor
have recommended it.

>   may be
> okay for the rapid-development web designers, but most real system
> adminstrators have more than enough work to do than to re-test their
> application stack for new deployments every 6 months.  I build servers
> to last for years so that I don't have to touch them again for a long
> time.

As do I on daily bases and have for years I have also designed and
deployed agile infrastructure myself and where asked to .

JBG