RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Mon Jul 22 20:35:45 UTC 2013

On 22.07.2013 15:38, Matthew Miller wrote:

> I've been involved to some small degree with Fedora since the beginning.
> This is a project and a Linux distribution which I love, and which I know
> everyone reading this also cares about deeply. We don't want to break what
> is successful and works.
>

>   But...
>   ---
>   * We need to be more than that
>   * Not widely used by RHEL users
Because it lacks reliability of RHEL. This needs to be enhanced.
>   * Not so great for building on...
Because it lacks high quality developer's documentation for all this new
pieces of software that it contains not to mention that this pieces are
swapped in and out too often.
>   * Including Red Hat's own stuff
>   * We're not seen as relevant...
>   * Let alone exciting
>
> Whenever I go to a tech meetup or talk to someone from a new startup
> company, their developers are inevitably using a different (usually
> proprietary) desktop OS, plus a non-Fedora distribution on their code. We're
> being left behind and left out. It doesn't matter how theoretically great we
> are if we end up with no users.
>

>   The Idea
>   ---
>   Focus core distro as platform, include layers of modular enabling
>   technologies, and provide room for special interest groups to create
>   solutions within the Fedora circle.
I think it's good approach for OS development to stay focused on rock
solid "core" that is reliable and doesn't break. Then all other rings
mentioned below in your proposal are easier to manage and could
sometimes break in some way. But "core" does never break form F(n) to
F(n+1). Sadly I encounter lot of regressions in Fedora that I don't in
other distros. If something works in one version of F it should not
break in the next one.

> So there we have it. Comments and discussion,  please!

I think it's one of the most reasonable proposals since decade that
occurred to Fedora.

Mateusz Marzantowicz