F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Jul 22 22:36:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, 22.07.13 15:26, Robert Nichols (rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net) wrote:

> On 07/22/2013 11:36 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > I am pretty sure that most of the stuff we currently mail
> >(like the log output of cron jobs) simply makes no sense as mail, and
> >should much rather be treated exactly like all other log output. There's
> >nothing special really about cron that would make it so much better
> >suitable for sending out its logs per mail, rather then just log them.
>
> How many megabytes can the log system reasonably accept in a single message?
> The output from a cron job can be a lot more than what anyone would
> consider to be a reasonable log message.

journald is in theory fine with 2^64 bytes per message. In practice (due
to the CPU cost of compressing large blobs with XZ while we write it to
disk) a few MB should be fine. Also, cronie will split up the messages
by line anyway if it logs to syslog instead of sendmail.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.