RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 23 13:10:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 02:28:02PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > With virt / cloud becoming easier.. is that not a common model? More
> > smaller machines which are dedicated to one and only one service?
> You can try to sweep problems under lots of carpets, and pretend the
> problem pile is smaller since the pile under each carpet is small, but in
> reality it didn't grow less. Having worked for about a decade in an
> organisation that used this strategy, I can tell it is very successful
> till a point. There *will* come a time where you run out of carpets, and
> when you can not split the problems any more, and need to rewind all the
> carpet splitting history to find a common root to the bits you absolutely
> need working together.

I'm not finding this analogy enlightening, because I don't understand
exactly how single-service systems are like "carpets", or what the opposing
"one big system doing everything" approach would be (linoleum tiles?) or
what exactly that would mean.

Can you explain without the analogy?

I think it's pretty well established that the single-service approach really
is best practice. Of course you need to have a higher-level view your
computing architecture too, but in general the reduced complexity on each
system is worth it, and interactions between systems and services are at
levels which are more easy to understand and diagnose. In specific, it
removes the problem of conflicting libraries and conflicting versions that
started this subthread.