F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 14:57:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Sendmail or otherwise, an MTA BELONGS in Default.
>
> There is no consensus on that, at all. Very successful competitors to
> Fedora have removed it, and their users are happy.

Those 'successful competitors' are probably being used in a
limited-requirement mode; like a 'single-user personal workstation'.
In those environments an MTA probably isn't (really) needed because an
MUA is probably all that's used... or all that the human 'thinks' they need.

But, personally, I agree with  billycrook at gmail.com...
On the servers I run, and the server applications I've written,
the use of email is mandatory and the use of an MTA is the
best, most-efficient way to deal with the email.
I say... servers should definitely have a default MTA.

We shouldn't confuse the need/use of an MTA with that of cron, syslog or
journald.
They're purposes do not overlap.