F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 15:18:47 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Since it _isn't_ served via DHCP in any environment I'm aware of, that's not
> actually useful.

Nice to meet you Matt.  As of this morning, it is served via DHCP in
mine.  There's also that guy earlier in the thread.  So now you know
of two.  Perhaps that dhcp option ought to be in the packaged
dhcpd.conf template.

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
> IMO email is terribly crappy way of informing. You get way too many
> emails.

And yet everyone continues to use it.  I bet there's a good reason...

> In any case, as soon as you have more than a few servers, you'll
> have some configuration management thing to set things up, e.g. Puppet
> or anything similar.

Yes, and it doesn't displace an MTA.

> I dislike sendmail, prefer Postfix. All of that is
> automatic.

I'm much more open to changing the default MTA from sendmail to
something else than just getting rid of the MTA.  I do happen to find
sendmail config particularly sadistic.  I'm sure there are other areas
where more modern MTAs outdo sendmail as well.  dnl:wq