Why does so much virt stuff depend on glusterfs?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Jul 23 16:30:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 08:47:14AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Well. Will qemu still actually _run_ without glusterfs being present? If
> so, do we actually need to express a dependency on glusterfs?

No, I don't think so.  I think it'll fail to start up because of a
missing library.

We could change qemu so it includes the block drivers, but each block
drive dlopen(3)'s the special libraries it needs on start up, but that
would make the code more complex.

I really think the way to fix this is to make the block drivers
loadable, and that is something which as far as I understand is
desirable upstream too, just no one has written a set of patches which
is acceptable.

If we did this, packaging it right in Fedora would be simple; you'd
end up with:

  qemu-block-gluster
  qemu-block-iscsi
  qemu-block-ssh
  etc.

which would be independently installable subpackages that would depend
on the correct libraries.

Rich.