F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Tue Jul 23 17:25:17 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> said:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 06:21:45PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Look, the proposal is not calling to replace sendmail, it's calling to
> > remove any MTA. So "sendmail is a bad MTA" is not a good argument for this
>
> No, it's *really* not calling to "remove any MTA". It's calling for no MTA
> to be installed by default, or at least not in the minimal install.
>
> The two arguments against this change I hear are:
>
>  * "This is a slipperly slope to the doom of all MTAs". This argument isn't very
>    convincing -- otherwise non-sendmail MTAs would already be dead, as would
>    every other server we don't install by default.
>
>  * "An MTA should be part of the base design." This point I'm open to,
>    although I think it requires more work than people are willing to
>    actually do, and I'd like to see a counter-proposal involving actually
>    doing that work.

I run lots of servers with MTAs, and sendmail in particular (you mean
everybody can't parse and understand lines like this:

without Google? :) ).  I have no problem with no-default-MTA.  An MTA
only works in most cases with additional configuration, and that
configuration will vary widely between setups and MTAs.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>