Multirelease effort: Moving to Python 3

Luya Tshimbalanga luya at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 23 19:02:04 UTC 2013

On 18/07/13 08:24 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> Hi all,
> as a new Fedora Python maintainer, I have set myself a goal of moving Fedora to Python 3 as a default. This is going to be a multirelease effort that is going to affect lots of Fedora parts. Since we will need to switch default package manager from Yum to DNF (which is supposed to work with Python 3), we will need to wait for that. I've been told that DNF should be default in F22, so that's my target, too. That should also give everyone else plenty of time to work on other essential packages to make this happen.
>
> Here is my analysis/proposal:
> Before switching, we need to make sure that everything "important" (*) is Python 3 compatible. There are three steps I see in this transition:
> 1) Getting rid of Python 2 in mock minimal buildroot.
> 2) Porting Anaconda to Python 3.
> 3) Making all livecd packages depend on Python 3 by default (and eventually getting rid of Python 2 from livecd) - this will also require switching from Yum to DNF as a default, that is supposed to support Python 3.
> ( 4) Making as much of the remaining packages Python 3 compatible )

I am very surprised infrastructure has not planned to gradually move to
python 3 since its release. I understand that due to RHEL, python2 will
remain used, in Fedora it is disappointing very little initiative were
proposed in the past for a better transition.
i applaud the effort which is really needed. Fedora is supposed to be a
distribution with latest stable technologies. Python 2.x support is
coming to the end.

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Graphic & Web Designer