RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Jul 23 20:11:58 UTC 2013

Le Mar 23 juillet 2013 20:55, Kevin Fenzi a écrit :
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:38:17 -0400
> Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
>> PS: Somewhere in this discussion, it was brought up that Fedora
>> infrastructure is not running on Fedora. I find that a really
>> depressing state of affairs. Changing that would be a great goal, imo.
>
> I find this myth continuing to pop up depressing. ;)
>
> We have a increasing number of Fedora instances in places where it
> makes sense. We don't exclusively use Fedora everywhere because it
> doesn't make sense for a number of things.
>
> If folks have a long term goal to move all to an all Fedora
> infrastructure, I invite them to join the infrastructure team and help
> try and make that goal possible.

Without putting *any* blame on infra, I think that explains why no startup
is using Fedora (which is the reason advanced to justify this proposal). A
startup needs to build its own infra from scratch as fast as possible.

If building this infra must be done outside of Fedora, what are the
incentives exactly to put fedora on desktops afterwards?

If the Fedora project intends to promote instead a Fedora+something_else
mix, where is this mix documented (for startup creators to find) and what
exactly is the Fedora project doing to ensure this mix works well?

If the something_else is composed of third-party services that primarily
target other desktops, who is going to believe replacing them with Fedora
is a good idea?

--
Nicolas Mailhot