Multirelease effort: Moving to Python 3

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 04:28:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:02:04PM -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> I am very surprised infrastructure has not planned to gradually move
> to python 3 since its release. I understand that due to RHEL, python2
> will remain used, in Fedora it is disappointing very little
> initiative were proposed in the past for a better transition.

Note -- if you want infrastructure to move to python3, the first step would
be to get python3 into EPEL.  There are quite a few things that could go
into an EPEL python3 stack once we have python-3.3 there.  (Although EPEL
will probably have to decide whether they want to create a bunch of forward
compat packages [since they have older non-python3-capable versions of some
packages there] or instead create separate python3 SRPM-level packages for
the new code.  And if we do move to separate packages in EPEL, whether we
want to revise our packaging in Fedora to have separate packages for python2
and python3 in Fedora.

Infrastructure really doesn't have any chance to migrate to python3 at all
until there's a python3 runtime available there.  (Note -- there's other
things holding it back as well -- for instance, the lack of a python3 port
for the web framework that underlies a few critical services, and the fact
that python2 will have to be run on the servers for basic system things like
yum and ansible until we get a RHEL version with DNF and a python3 version
of ansible.  But without a python3 runtime, not even those things that can
move independent of those constraints can migrate.)

-Toshio